Elk Grove has created the Business Resource Guide as a virtual tool box to provide current and prospective businesses with valuable information on the Village's processes and available business development resources. The guide is intended to serve as a resource to step you through business of start-up, operation, and expansion phases.

Navigate through the sections below to better understand how to accomplish your specific objectives. By grasping all the necessary steps for achieving your goal, the Village guarantees easier, more efficient, and potentially quicker resolutions to your concerns. We're here to help you!

In 2014 the Village approved the Busse / Elmhurst TIF District.

The TIF District is a valuable resource encouraging redevelopment and business expansion. Businesses or real estate professionals may access TIF funds in cases where there is a redevelopment opportunity and a clearly demonstrated benefit to the community.

Choosing a Site

When proposing to open a business in Elk Grove, there are a number of items that should be explored before making a solid commitment to a site. The following steps are not all-inclusive, but are important in determining if your use is allowed and how long it will be before you can occupy the proposed space.

Site Selection Assistance

For your convenience, the Village maintains a website that lists available commercial space in the Village, www.elkgrovesites.com. The website serves as an interactive database listing commercial space in Elk Grove. Individual buildings are listed along with demographic, labor market, consumer spending, and business data specific to the space you are viewing. The inventory is updated regularly by real estate development professionals working in the area ensuring that all information is current.

Click here to view available buildings and sites.

Elk Grove Technology Park features 85 acres net usable land, with state-of-the-art speculative and build-to-suit opportunities.

Groundbreaking and the commencement of infrastructure development will take place in early 2018, with anticipated completion of speculative construction in First Quarter 2019 (subject to change).

Learn More

The Village is divided into districts designed to group compatible business together in specific areas. Before moving forward on a certain site, contact the Department of Community Development to confirm that your business is allowed to operate at the site you have selected.

A formal Zoning Application must be submitted to this department prior to occupying the building. We strongly recommend that you obtain the zoning approval BEFORE entering into a sale or lease agreement. This approval provides you with written verification from the Village that the proposed use is permitted at the proposed location.

If you are going to enter into a lease agreement or a contract to purchase property for the purpose of operating a business, remember to include a contingency for Elk Grove Village zoning approvals and permits. If it is determined that a Plan Commission review of your proposal is necessary, you should allow a minimum of six to eight weeks from the time you submit your application to the time a decision is rendered. However, most new businesses do not need to go through the Plan Commission review process.

Click to download a Zoning Application

The Village's Engineering and Community Development Department is your first point of contact for issues related to zoning, permitting, and inspections. Full information can be found online at www.elkgrove.org or by calling 847-357-4225. The following is a brief synopsis of procedures individuals should be aware of in expanding or opening a business.

Elk Grove Village requires engineering permits when any work is performed on the exterior of a building. This work may include parking lot repairs, sidewalk repairs, and apron and driveway repairs, regarding green space, constructing or repairing water services, storm sewers or sanitary sewers. Call the Village at 847-357-4220 if you have any questions regarding when a permit is required.

Permit Submittal Requirements

All permit applications must be accompanied by the following: A plat of survey, a plan sheet highlighting all work to be performed (provide as much information as possible), and a signed contract proposal or an engineer's estimate of cost. Larger plans such as parking lot reconstructions or additions, site work relating to building additions or remodels, etc. require a submittal by a licensed civil engineer. The submittal shall include a full plan set with all appropriate Village specifications and details. Click here to find all of the Village's details and specifications or download a comprehensive set of specifications by clicking here.

Any work performed within the Village Right-Of-Way will require a performance bond and a certificate of insurance to be filed with the Village. Click here to download the bond and insurance requirements.

Separate building permits are required for all interior building work. Building permits are required for construction projects such as electrical work, fences, heating, ventilation and air conditioning, interior and exterior alterations, structural modifications, new buildings and additions, plumbing work, roofing work, signs, water heater replacement, decks and sheds. Permit fees are associated with such projects and are calculated during the plan review process. Click here for information regarding building permits.

Permit Review Process

The Department of Engineering and Community Development considers itself to be in partnership with the business community. Accordingly, we take pride in providing exceptional customer service by offering the fastest, comprehensive permit review services in the area. In almost all cases, we provide a plan review response to original submittals in ten working days or less. Remember, however, that this ten-day turnaround refers to the time it takes for the plan review and does not guarantee permit issuance until adequate plans meeting all applicable code requirements are submitted to and approved by the Village. The best way you can expedite the permit process is to make sure a complete set of permit drawings is submitted for review that clearly identifies all work to be done.


Inspections are mandatory while work is in progress to ensure that construction complies with approved permit plans and code regulations. Inspections associated with building permits are scheduled directly through the Department of Community Development by simply contacting them the day before the inspection is needed.

Food service and retail establishments that sell food and/or beverage products to the public are permitted and inspected by the Health Services Department. The Department enforces sanitation requirements set forth by the Illinois State Food Service Sanitation Code. The number of inspections an establishment receives per year is dependent on the establishment's type and risk level. Click on the link below to view the Illinois State Food Service Sanitation Code:


New owners looking to open a food service or retail establishment in the Village should start with zoning approval from the Engineering and Community Development Department. After this approval is obtained, the owner may then apply for a Business License through the Finance Department. New construction or interior renovation will require a building permit and plan review. New owners submitting plans must also complete and return the Health Services Department "Plan Review Form". After plans are approved and construction is complete, the Health Inspector will schedule a pre-opening (approval for food storage) and opening (approval to operate) inspection with the owner.

Processor, wholesale, and warehouse operations that store or prepare food and/or beverage products will also need to apply for zoning and obtain a Business License. A building permit and review will be required for any renovation or construction. The establishment will also need to pass a pre-opening and opening inspection with the Health Inspector. A Health Permit is not required for these types of establishments. Once the establishment is approved to open by the Health Services Department, the owner must contact the proper agency (Illinois Department of Public Health, Food and Drug Administration, and/or Illinois Department of Agriculture) for licensing and any additional requirements.

New owners looking to take over an existing food-related business must apply for a new Business License. The owner will then be contacted by the Health Inspector to schedule a change of ownership inspection.

The Village's Finance Department is the first point of contact for business licensing and government procurement activities. For more information, please visit www.elkgrove.org or call 847-357-4055.

Businesses conducting retail sales of any product or merchandise require a license. All food, beverage, and cigarette vending machines as well as coin-operated amusement/musical devices must also display a valid license. Other activities requiring a business license include day care centers, food caterers, and retail establishments.

Companies are responsible for obtaining all necessary licenses. Pre-printed license applications for businesses currently licensed will be mailed in mid-April. For further information, or to determine if your business requires a license, please call the Finance Department at 847-357-4062 or stop by the Finance Counter in the Municipal Building.

The annual fee for a business license covers the cost of making inspections necessary to safeguard public safety, health, and welfare. Failure to obtain a license can result in fines of $25 to $500 per day.

Community Resources

The Elk Grove Chamber of Commerce

The Mission of the Elk Grove Chamber of Commerce is as follows:

  • Identify and address the interests of Elk Grove Businesses
  • Create and promote a stronger climate for businesses to locate and relocate to Elk Grove
  • Enhance opportunities to interact with local government bodies that directly affect Elk Grove businesses
  • Assist businesses in enhancing their operations and promotions through training, networking and employment opportunities
  • Strengthen the sense of community in this dynamic environment
  • Provide opportunities for business-to-business contacts that promote better communications and increased profits

The Elk Grove Chamber of Commerce Offers:

Programs and Events: Chamber programs have included a series of Business After Hours and Seminars. The Elk Grove Chamber of Commerce is an affiliate Chamber of the Greater O'Hare Association, Illinois' premier regional business organization. Through this affiliation, you also have a membership with the Greater O'Hare Association. This includes monthly luncheons, trade shows, job fairs, Sales Institute, Small Business Marketing Roundtable and much more.

Networking: The Chamber can be a terrific source of business for your firm. Monthly meetings, committee involvement and special events offer you the opportunity to develop valuable business contacts.

For more information about the Elk Grove Chamber of Commerce, call toll free 1-877-ELK-GROV (1-877-355-4768) or visit our website at www.elkgrovechamber.org

The Greater Woodfield Convention and Visitors Bureau

The Convention Bureau is a non-profit (501C6) quasi-governmental destination marketing agency that serves several municipalities in Chicago's northwest suburbs with a population (count taken at the 2000 census) of 520,463. It's one of Illinois' 39 certified bureaus funded by the Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity/Office of Tourism through its Grant Program.

Convention Bureaus traditionally known as DMOs or Destination Marketing Organizations concentrate on producing programs to promote the area they serve in order to increase overnight hotel bookings, thereby stimulating the local economy through visitor spending. CVBs identify growing market niches, including sports, associations, motor coaches, corporate, and SMERF (social-military-educational-religious-fraternal) groups. Leisure Tourism has become a major focus for the convention bureau staff as well.

With the wealth of hotels and attractions, the WCNCB, as a Membership-driven DMO, develops programs to highlight individual stakeholders to the visitor market. These affiliations have us partnering with village/city/chambers; hotels; attractions, including shopping centers; restaurants/nightclubs; and support services encompassing corporations that choose to support the Bureau's efforts toward greater economic health.

For more information contact the:
The Greater Woodfield Convention and Visitors Bureau
1375 E. Woodfield Rd., Suite 120
Schaumburg, IL 60173


Sales Tax Following is a brief guide to taxes that apply to purchases made by residents and businesses in Elk Grove Village. The Village overlaps into two (2) counties, Cook and DuPage, resulting in a different sales tax rate for each county.




State Tax



Village Home Rule Tax



County Home Rule Tax


Regional Transportation Authority (RTA)



Total General Merchandise



Village Food & Beverage Tax



Total Prepared Food & Alcoholic Beverages



Prepared Foods & Beverages Restaurants, cafeterias, banquet facilities and bars assess an additional 1.00% tax on prepared food intended for immediate consumption on the premises and alcoholic beverages sold at retail either for consumption on the premises or sold in original packaging for consumption off premises.

Qualifying Food, Drugs, and Medical Appliances Qualifying food, drugs and medical appliances are taxed at a lower rate than general merchandise. This lower tax is applicable on non-prepared foods such as a cake mix or milk. The total tax on qualifying food, drugs and medical appliances in Cook County is 2.25%. In DuPage County, this rate is 1.75%. Note: effective September 1, 2009, the State of Illinois revised its list of items that are charged this lower tax rate. For further information, visit www.revenue.state.il.us

Telecommunication Taxes Telecommunication taxes apply toward the gross charges on both local and long distance telecommunications made by businesses and residences located within the Village. The term telecommunications includes telephone, facsimile, paging and wireless service. Elk Grove Village charges a 5.00% Simplified Municipal Telecommunications Tax on all gross charges. The maximum allowed by state statute is 6.00%. The Village also charges $.75 per line to help cover the cost for emergency 911 services. Please note that state and federal telecommunications taxes and fees are also added to all telecommunications bills. The tax rate charged to all telecommunications bills by the State of Illinois is 7.00%.

Municipal Gas Use Tax A tax of $0.01 per therm of natural gas use is charged for all natural gas use within the corporate boundaries of Elk Grove Village.

Hotel/Motel Tax A tax of 6.00% is charged on the gross rental receipts of all hotels and motels located in Elk Grove Village. The tax is collected by the hotel/motel from the occupant at the time the room is paid for.

Business Financing Resources

Elk Grove has compiled a wealth of Village, State, National, and private sector resources and contact points to help EGV businesses start-up, sustain, and expand. See the variety of sections below for available business financing.

DCEO is the lead state agency responsible for improving the competitiveness of Illinois businesses. DCEO provides information, assistance, and advocacy to facilitate business expansion in and relocation to Illinois. DCEO has a number of resources available to assist small and large businesses succeed in Illinois. Programs include:

Economic Development for a Growing Economy (EDGE)The EDGE program is a tax incentive program that provides tax credits for businesses that create and/or retain jobs and make capital investment in Illinois. Business creating and/or retaining jobs may claim a state income tax credit equal to a portion of the incremental income tax generated from the jobs created and/or retained in Illinois. Credits are calculated from the personal income tax collected on salaries paid to employees in the new or retained jobs, which may be taken as a non-refundable tax credit against corporate income taxes over a period not to exceed 10 taxable years.

Participation Loan ProgramThe Participation Loan Program provides credit enhanced financial assistance to Illinois small businesses that provide employment opportunities to Illinois citizens. Through banks, development corporations and other lenders, DCEO can participate in business loans up to 25% of the total amount of a project, but not less than $10,000 or more than $750,000. DCEO’s terms will typically match those of the participating financial institutions in regard to interest rate and maturity. Funds can be used for the purchase of land and buildings, construction or renovation, purchase and installation of machinery and equipment, and working capital.

The Illinois Finance Authority (IFA) is a self-financed, state-authorized authority principally engaged in issuing taxable and tax-exempt bonds, making loans, and investing capital for businesses, non-profit corporations, and local government units statewide. As a self-funded agency, IFA receives no general revenue funds from the State of Illinois, and the state bears no liability for the debt IFA issues or otherwise incurs. IFA's operating income is exclusively derived from application and closing fees, interest income, and investment income.

IFA offers a variety of products that assist Illinois businesses, schools, municipalities and non-profits. These include:• Bonds• Loans• Venture Capital

For additional information contact:
Illinois Finance Authority
Phone: 312-627-1434 OR 800-717-6066
Fax: 312-496-0578

SomerCor provides SBA 504 Loans. Loans are available for all types of small for profit businesses to purchase and/or renovate capital assets, including land, buildings, and equipment.

For more information contact:
SomerCor 504 Inc.
Two East 8th St.
Chicago, Illinois 60605
Phone: 312-360-3163

Growth Corp’s 504 Loan Program helps provide small businesses with better access to money for expansion than would otherwise be available through conventional financing. The 504 Loan Program is available to most businesses for the purchase, construction, or expansion/renovation of buildings and/or the purchase of equipment.

For more information contact:
Business Growth Corporation
2401 West White Oaks Drive
Springfield, IL 62704-7423
Phone: 217-787-7557
Toll-Free: 800-577-2772
Fax: 217-787-2872

State Treasurer's Economic Program (STEP)
The STEP program is for Illinois companies creating or retaining permanent jobs. For each permanent full-time job that is created or retained, the Treasurer can deposit up to $25,000 at below market rates into the borrower's financial institution. The borrower must have the financial ability to carry out the project, demonstrate the State will gain long-term benefits, and create a minimum of five full time jobs.

Economic Recovery Loan Program (ER)
This program is aimed at out of state firms establishing their first (non-retail) facilities in the state. For each permanent full-time job that is created for retained, the State Treasurer can deposit up to $50,000 at below market rates into the borrower's financial institution. That institution (which must have an in-state presence) will then lend the money at below prevailing interest rates to the borrower. Manufacturing projects will be favored and all funding is committed at the sole discretion of the State Treasurer.

For additional information contact:
Illinois State Treasurer
Economic Development
100 West Randolph Street, Suite 4-100
Chicago, IL 60601
Phone: 312-814-1788
Fax: 312-814-2765

The majority of loans provided by IVCA are through the Community Service Block Grant (CSBG) Loan Program. The CSBG Loan Program is administered jointly by the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO), statewide Community Action Agencies (CAAs) and IVCA.

The Program provides long-term, fixed-rate financing to new or expanding companies in exchange for job creation and employment for low income individuals. CSBG funds usually make up between 20-49% of the entire loan project and have a low interest rate of 5% to 7.5%.

For additional information contact:
3301 Constitution Dr.
PO Box 9285
Springfield, IL 62707
Phone: 217-522-4553
Fax: 217-522-9324

The IEPA defines a Brownfield as a parcel of land, or portion thereof that has actual or perceived contamination that impedes its potential for redevelopment. Brownfield sites vary in size, location, age, and past use. These properties can range from a closed gas station to a former multi-acre manufacturing facility. The IEPA offers a variety of programs to help communities and landowners reclaim their property from environmental contamination.

For additional information contact:
Office of Brownfield Assistance
Bureau of Land
Illinois Environmental Protection Agency
1021 North Grand Avenue East
Springfield, IL 62794-9276
Phone: 217-785-9407

ACCION Chicago is a non-profit organization that provides credit and other business services to small business owners who do not have access to traditional sources of financing. By encouraging the economic self-reliance of micro-entrepreneurs throughout Illinois, ACCION Chicago strives to help businesses and communities grow.

For additional information contact:
Accion Chicago
1618 West 18th Street, Suite 200
Chicago, Illinois 60608
Phone: 773-376-9004
Fax: 773-376-9048

Cook County Business Loan Fund
The Illinois Fixed Rate Loan Fund and the Revolving Loan Fund both provide low interest loans to start up or expand small business for the purpose of creating new jobs. CEDA has been an administering agency for these programs in Suburban Cook County since 1983.

Both loan programs are available to all small businesses in need of funds for expansion and working capital. Interest rates on the Fixed Rate loan are fixed at 4 to 7%. The Revolving Loan Fund is matched with a direct bank loan.

For each $20,000 in assistance, a new job must be created, which a low-income resident of the City of Chicago or South Suburban Cook County must fill.

For additional information contact:
Chicago, Illinois

As a home rule community, Elk Grove Village has the ability to issue industrial revenue bonds to assist with the financing of private economic development program. Industrial revenue bonds reduce the cost of financing for commercial projects that involve the purchase of equipment, inventory, and tenant improvements.

If you would like to speak with someone from Elk Grove Village about this program, please call Josh Grodzin, Director of Business Development and Marketing at 847-357-4005.

Cook County offers tax abatement programs to encourage private enterprise to develop in the county and maintain and increase job opportunities, thereby resulting in an increased tax base for the entire county. Currently, the property taxes for industrial properties are assessed at 25% of the fair market value of the property. Property approved under these abatement programs allow the owner a property assessment of 10% for a period of 12 years, resulting in a sizeable reduction of property tax due on the property.

In order to be eligible for Class 6B Abatement, the property must be used for an industrial purpose and, in addition, one of the following criteria must be met: • New construction • Buying a building that has been vacant for one year or more • Substantial renovation to an existing building

In order to be eligible for Class C Abatement, the property must be used for an industrial purpose and, in addition, the following criteria must be met:

  • Because of contamination, said real estate must undergo environmental testing and remediation and receive a “No Further Remediation” letter from the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency
  • The remediation costs total at least $100,000

Since these programs are offered by Cook County, the applications are made to the County. However, the application must be accompanied by a resolution adopted by Elk Grove Village supporting the application. The Village has supported over 300 such applications since the inception of these programs in 1984.

There is a non-refundable $500 application fee.

If you would like to speak with someone from Elk Grove Village about this program, please call Josh Grodzin, Director of Business Development and Marketing at (847) 357-4005.

Small Business Technology Transfer Program (STTR) / Small Business Innovation Research Program (SBIR)
The SBIR/STTR Program stimulates technological innovation in the private sector by strengthening the role of small business concerns in meeting Federal research and development needs, increasing the commercial application of federally supported research results, and fostering and encouraging participation by socially and economically disadvantaged persons and women-owned small businesses in technological innovation.

For additional information contact:
Department of Defense
Small Business Innovation Research
Phone: 1-800-724-7457

Business Development Resources

Elk Grove has compiled a wealth of Village, State, National, and private sector resources to help EGV businesses start-up, sustain, and expand. See the sections below for agencies and information related to business development.

ENCLAVE for Entrepreneurs is an international collaborative learning center for entrepreneurs in Elk Grove Village. It is a private-public partnership that connects entrepreneurs, investors, vendors, and other innovators with valuable resources. It was founded by John R. Dallas, Jr., David E. Morrison, Jr., and David E. (Daven) Morrison III.

ENCLAVE is an illuminator, not an incubator or an accelerator. Here light shines on the development of entrepreneurs, with related focus on ventures. Before, while, and after entrepreneurs develop their entities, ENCLAVE illuminates and facilitates venture-relevant opportunities for deeper learning.

To learn more, visit enclaveforentrepreneurs.com

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) was created in 1953 as an independent agency of the federal government to aid, counsel, assist, and protect the interests of small businesses. Through an extensive network of field offices and partnerships with public and private organizations, SBA delivers its services to people throughout the United States.

The SBA maintains an extensive website that contains self assessment tools, a start-up kit, financing options, and online training. For more information, go to http://www.sba.gov/.

Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)

The FEIN number is the "social security" number for your business. Employers, sole proprietors, partnerships, nonprofit associations, and trusts, estates of decedents, government agencies, certain individuals, and other businesses use FEINs. To obtain an FEIN, complete Form SS4 found on the IRS website and submit the form to the IRS.

For additional information contact:

IRS Center
Kansas City, MO 64999
Ph: 800-829-3676 and ask for Small Business Tax Kit #454
Phone: 816-926-5999
Fax: 816-926-7988

Professional Business License in the State of Illinois

The process of becoming licensed in Illinois is designed to ensure that all professionals meet at least the minimum requirements for licensure set forth by law. Professionals seeking to work in Illinois must first receive, and properly complete, an application for licensure. Applications differ depending upon profession, and the method of applying, including examination, endorsement from another state, and acceptance of examination given by another jurisdiction or professional association.

For additional information contact:

Illinois Department of Professional Regulation
James R. Thompson Center
100 West Randolph, Suite 9-300
Chicago, IL 60601
Phone: 312-814-4500

Illinois Secretary of State

Corporations, limited liability companies and partnerships located in other states but operating in Illinois must register with the Illinois Secretary of State.

For additional information contact:

Office of the Secretary of State Department of Business Services
17 North State, Suite 1137
Chicago, Illinois 60602
Phone: 312-793-3380

Illinois State Business Registration

Businesses operating in Illinois that plan to hire employees, to buy or sell products at wholesale or retail, or to manufacture goods, must register with the Illinois Department of revenue by completing an Illinois Business Registration Form. This form also registers your business for an Illinois sales tax number.

For additional information contact:

Illinois Department of Revenue
100 West Randolph, Suite C-300
Chicago, Illinois 60601
Phone: 312-814-5258

The State of Illinois requires the filing of form NUC-542-A Notice of Sale / Purchase of Business Assets. The state will research the business's account. If no taxes are owed they will issue a release of liability statement. If a balance is due they will notify both parties of the amount to be placed in escrow.

For additional information contact:

Illinois Department of Revenue
100 West Randolph, Suite C-300
Chicago, Illinois 60601
Phone: 312-814-5258

Workers' Compensation Insurance

Businesses employing one or more full or part time employee are required to provide insurance for accidental death, injuries and occupational diseases of employees arising in the course of service. Contact the Illinois Industrial Commission for a free workers' compensation handbook.

For additional information contact:

Illinois Industrial Commission
Phone: 312-814-6611

Unemployment Insurance

Employers may be required to make unemployment insurance contributions to the Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES). For help in determining your contribution, contact IDES for an Unemployment Insurance Employee Start-up Kit.

For additional information contact:

Illinois Department of Employment Security

Unemployment Insurance revenue Division
Phone: 312-793-4880 or 800-247-4984

New Hire Reporting

The New Hire Reporting Program is a part of the new federal welfare to work reform law. All employers are required to report new employees to the State's New Hire Directory within 20 days of the employee's first day on the payroll. All new employees who are required to fill out federal W4 wage withholding forms. This includes full time, part time, seasonal, temporary, student workers and employees rehired after a separation of 180 days or more.

For additional information contact:

Illinois Department of Employment Security
Phone: 800-327-HIRE (4473)

Work Eligibility

Employers must keep records certifying employee identity and work eligibility. Both business owner and employee must complete the Immigration and Naturalization Service Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Certification.

For additional information contact:

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service
Phone: 312-353-7334 or 800-375-5283

Income Tax Withholding

As an employer, you are required to collect and remit income tax to the State of Illinois and Federal Medicare, Social Security and income taxes to the Internal Revenue Service on behalf of your employees. Each employee must fill out IRD form W-4, the Employees' Withholding Allowance Certificate. The filing and withholding allowances indicated on this form will determine the amount of income tax you must withhold from your employees' wages. The IRS's Employer Tax Guide can further explain tax responsibility.

For additional information contact:

Federal Tax Payer Service

Internal Revenue Service
230 South Dearborn 17th Floor
Chicago, Illinois 60604
Phone: 800-829-1040

Harper College Small Business Development Center

The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) is a part of a nationwide support network for the small business community. The SBDC offers counseling services on:

• Business Planning • Financial Planning• Marketing Loan Packaging Feasibility Studies• Organization Planning• Professional Referral Program• The Entrepreneurs Resource Room

For more information contact:

Harper Professional Center
650 E. Higgins Road, Suite 18N
Schaumburg, Illinois
Phone: 847-925-6520


Export Assistance

U.S. Department of Commerce

Exporting is essential to the health of the U.S. economy. According to the U.S. Department of Commence, exports support over 11 million jobs in the United States, which pay 15% more than the U.S. average, and international sales have contributed to nearly 30% of domestic economic growth in recent years. But this success is not limited to large corporations; the number of American businesses sending their goods and services overseas has tripled since 1990, with a full two thirds of that boom coming from companies with fewer than 20 employees. It's become a necessity for any business to export, and those that don't are 9% more likely to fail in any given year than comparable firms that do.

For an overview of your market and industry and an introduction to the world of opportunity that exporting may represent for you and your business, contact the following.

For additional information contact:

U.S. Department of Commerce Government Exporting Portal
Phone: 312-353-8040

College of DuPage International Trade Center

Center for Entrepreneurship

Funded in part by the U.S. Small Business Administration and the Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs, the International Trade Center (ITC) was established in 1989 to assist Illinois companies with their export efforts. The ITC provides assistance to foreign companies interested in sourcing manufactured products from the United States.

For additional information contact:

College of DuPage
International Trade Center
Phone: 630-942-3052


Illinois Trade Office

The Illinois Trade Office (ITO) of the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO) is the lead advocate for improving competitiveness in today's global marketplace. The ITO provides a variety of programs to fulfill its mission of creating high quality Illinois jobs through expert development, foreign direct investment and international tourism.

For additional information contact:

100 West Randolph St.Suite 3-400
Chicago, Illinois 60601
Phone: 312-814-2828
Fax: 312-814-6581

U.S. Small Business Administration

Sponsored by the SBA, Trade Mission Online is a database of American small businesses that seek to export their products. It is also a search engine for foreign companies that seek U.S. business alliances through direct product sales, licensing or franchising agreements.

For additional information contact:

International Trade Specialist
Phone: 312-353-8065
Fax: 312-353-8098


Workforce Development Resources

workNet Northern Cook County
The workNet Career Center is the premiere location for training, developing, and connecting the local workforce. workNet goals are to provide job seekers with the tools necessary for successful employment and to assist DuPage County businesses in strengthening their workforce.

workNet serves both the job seekers and employers of Northern Cook County and the immediate suburban Chicago area. Among offerings for job seekers are job search workshops, job fairs, Friday Job Club, and scholarships for job training programs. Among offerings for employers are worker training grants, job posting services, and recruiting events.

Illinois workNet of Northern Cook County / Arlington Heights
723 W Algonquin Road
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Utility Billing:

The Village provides water and sewer service to incorporated properties. Following are the water and sewer rates per 1,000 gallons, as billed on a bi-monthly basis.









Utility Entities and Contact Information:

Electric Services
Commonwealth Edison
Phone: 1-800-334-7661

Natural Gas
Phone: 1-888-642-6748
Website: www.nicor.com

Telephone, Hi-speed Internet, and Video Television
Phone: 1-800-244-4444

Internet, WiFi, Ethernet/Managed Enterprise Solutions, Mobile & Phone Services, TV
Comcast Business
Phone: 1-800-391-3000

Garbage Collection or Recycling
Waste Management
Phone: 1-800-796-9696

Elk Grove Village
Phone: 847-357-4060

Electronics Recycling and IT Asset Disposition
Phone: 331-207-4343

Elected Officials

The Village of Elk Grove Village is run by the Council-Manager form of government. This form of municipal government combines the strong political leadership of elected officials (Mayor and Board of Trustees) with the strong administrative experience of the Village Manager.

Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Mayor who is elected at large for a four (4) year term.

Legislative Body Village Board of Trustees – Six (6) trustees elected for four (4) year term overlapping terms.

Village Clerk The Village Clerk is an appointed official, responsible for keeping all Official Village Records. The Village Clerk's Office also handles voter registration and Village elections.

Chief Administrative Officer - Village Manager The Chief Administrative Officer - Village Manager is a professional administrator appointed by the Mayor and Board of Trustees to direct daily operations of the Village. The Village Manager is responsible for preparation and presentation of the budget and has full authority over all Village Departments.

Click here for more information

Boards and Commissions

The Plan Commission 
The Plan Commission consists of 9 volunteer residents of the Village, one of whom serves as Chairman. The Plan Commission meets at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesdays. These meetings typically take place on the second or fourth Wednesday, but only when needed.

The Plan Commission makes recommendations to the Mayor and Board of Trustees concerning land suitable for annexation, subdivisions of real estate, and associated issues such as landscape plans, screening plans, and locations of public improvements in new developments.

In addition, the Plan Commission holds public hearings concerning rezoning request and special use requests. Following the public hearing, the Plan Commission makes recommendations to the Village Board concerning the issue at hand.

The Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) 
The Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) consists of 9 volunteer residents, one of whom serves as Chairman. The ZBA does not have a set meeting schedule, but meets during evening hours on an as-needed basis.

The ZBA holds public hearing to consider petitions for variations to the Village's Zoning Ordinance and make recommendations to the Mayor and Board of Trustees concerning the petition.

In addition, the ZBA will make recommendations concerning the interpretation of the Zoning Ordinance from time to time.

Doing Business With the Village

The Purchasing Division is responsible for providing a fair and competitive process for the purchase and acquisition of equipment, supplies, materials, and professional services. 

Responsibilities of the Purchasing Division include:

    • Processing of All Purchase Orders
    • Issuing and Administration of Bids and RFPs
    • Vendor Contacts
    • Contract Administration 

For more information on how to become a vendor of the Village, please contact the Finance Department’s Purchasing Division at: 847-439-3900